We ask the world’s top designers and illustrators to answer 13 questions and create a visual response to one of their choice.
Riikka Laakso is an illustrator based in Berlin. We fell for her beautiful line work a few years back and are never not impressed by what she draws next. Do yourself a favor and follow her on Instagram @riikkalaakso
1. Describe what you do in four words or less:
I solve visual problems.
2. When did you know you wanted to be a designer?
During my graphic design studies I tried to become a designer, but after graduating I decided to be an illustrator.
3. If you weren’t a designer, you’d be:
I love dogs, gardening, nature, food, and working with children. If I weren’t an illustrator, I would probably work in one of these areas.
4. The typeface you love/hate/love to hate:
LL Brown is currently my favorite.
5. Your dream design (or redesign) project is:
A children’s book, as I have never illustrated one.
6. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received (and who said it)?
“There will be people still loving you, even if your drawings were ugly.” —My sister
7. The quality in others you most admire is:
8. You’re secretly really good at:
9. The biggest design cliché right now is:
Design for designers.
10. What keeps you awake at night?
Nothing, I love sleeping.
11. What contribution will you make to the creative community in the next 10 years?
12. What question are you dying to answer that we haven’t asked?
I don’t know a specific one, but I love to talk about food.
13. What’s the answer?